Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Funny Story... Kind of

This is a very long story so... Here is a condensed version and then if you want to read the whole story you can find it below!
Sunday morning 4:30 Jax throws up, I take him to the bathroom to clean him up, I faint, bonk my head and begin convulsing. The nurse on the "nurse hot line" tells Tyler he should have called 911 and that I needed medical attention immediately. Neighbors come to watch the kids until my parents can get here. Tyler drives to hospital very quickly. I only want to speak Spanish. Get to hospital and learn I fainted from stress, dehydration, and getting up too quickly. And I have a concussion from hitting my head. Yay, no brain damage or heart problems! Come home, Teresa made lots of food and cleaned my kitchen. My accident is announced at church, people text, call, and stop by. Everyone disappointed that it's only a concussion. Jax and Link sick till Wednesday.


Longer version:
So Sunday was quite an eventful day for our family. It all started at 4:30 in the morning. I was dead asleep when Tyler woke me up saying he thought Jaxon was throwing up. I jumped out of bed and hurried to him and sure enough, he had thrown up all over himself and his bed. I took Jaxon into the bathroom to clean him up while Tyler took his bedding to the laundry room. On my way to the bathroom I started feeling really weird. My body felt tingly and I felt really sick to my stomach. I just assumed I had the same thing Jaxon had. Jaxon had throw up in his eye so I started washing his face. I thought I was going to throw up so I hurried to put my hair in a ponytail. I got really dizzy and confused and didn't know what was going on. The next thing I knew I could hear Jaxon saying "Mommy, do you think you can get up?" I opened my eyes and I was laying on the floor. I was so confused. I asked Jaxon what happened and he told me that I fell down. I yelled for Tyler and he came running into the bathroom. I told him I think I passed out. He helped me up and sat me on the toilet. Everything was so fuzzy and confusing. Tyler told me later, because I don't remember this, that I convulsed and was talking crazy and saying that the night before I knew I was going to die and more crazy stuff like that. I do remember that Tyler's voice was shaky which scared me. I also remember looking at myself as we passed by the mirror on our way back to my bed and I looked freakishly white/gray/green. I'd never seen anyone that color and it scared me even more. Let me just explain that I seriously had never experienced anything like this before. I felt so strange all over. It felt like my body wasn't mine. I wanted out of my body, if that makes any sense at all. Anyway, I'm laying in bed, convincing myself I was dying, while Tyler was calling my dad. Then I called my sister, Emily. One of them, I'm not sure who, gave Tyler a number to a nurse hot line so he called a nurse and explained everything that had happened. She told him that because I was convulsing he needed to call 911. Well, of course we're not going to call 911 for a couple reasons. 1. that would cost an arm and a leg. 2. Tyler could drive us there faster then an ambulance would. and 3. We had to find someone to watch our kids before we could go anywhere anyway. So Tyler started calling neighbors and ward members, by now it's about 5:30, and he finally got ahold of the 1st councilor in the bishopric and he and his wife came over to sit with the kids until my parents got here. When Tyler said someone was on their was over I told him I needed to clean the house but of course he made me lay back down and told me no. It was also about this time that I noticed the humongous bump on my head just above my right eyebrow. Bro. Christiansen and Tyler gave me a blessing and I asked if they would call my 1st counselor so she could fill in for me at Ward Council, which was in an hour and a half. My dad and Teresa left their house about the same time but they live 50 minutes away. So... to make this story a little shorter... Once at the hospital they did a CAT scan, an EKG and blood work and decided that I had a concussion from the fall and had fainted from dehydration, stress, and getting up too quickly. At first I was really irritated that we went to the hospital for nothing, not that I wanted something to be wrong, but Tyler assured me that it was good we went just to make sure that nothing was wrong like bleeding in my brain or a heart arrhythmia. Side note: for some reason I only wanted to speak Spanish. The only problem is that I don't actually speak Spanish. And I remember being really frustrated that I couldn't speak Spanish and thinking that if I couldn't speak Spanish, I just shouldn't talk at all. So I sang De Colores a few times. Then, at the hospital I thought everything was really funny. I had to try really hard not to laugh and kept saying, "That's so funny! Everyone is so funny!" When absolutely nothing was happening. Ok, back to the story. By the time we got home it was about 10:30. My wonderful, amazing step-mom had made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup with thick homemade noodles - my favorite! And a bunch of mashed potatoes for Tyler. And jello for the boys. Plus she had cleaned my kitchen! My parents made sure we were settled and then they headed home to get some much needed rest. I got a text that afternoon from a friend in our ward saying that it was announced over the pulpit that I fainted, hit my head and was in the hospital. Great! I know that it was announced out of love and concern but I was pretty embarrassed and felt a little silly. I wasn't seriously injured and I didn't want people to worry needlessly. Plus, I feel like people got all worked up and when they find out it's just a concussion I think they will all be sorely disappointed. I've been trying to think of some sort of made up condition so maybe people won't be so let down. Anyway... Jaxon was had stopped throwing up by Sunday afternoon. Then he threw up again Tuesday morning. Linkon got sick Monday night and was sick most of the day on Tuesday. Today they were both feeling much better and so far no one else who came in contact with them is sick. The massive bump on my head is barely raised anymore and luckily it hasn't bruised, yet. I also bruised my right shoulder on the heat vent that sticks out of the wall and I bruised my hip/butt on a toy Jaxon had left in there the night before. So, other than the constant migraine I am feeling just fine! I am so grateful that I wasn't hurt any more than I was. Our bathroom isn't huge and I was lucky that I hit my head on the floor and not on the bathtub, toilet or sink. I am also indescribably grateful for the wonderful people in my life who are so willing to help out, even at 4:30 and 5:30 in the morning! Plus 2 different ladies in our ward brought food. There, I'm done! Sorry, it's so long but that's the whole story!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

That is so scary!!! I'm glad that Tyler was home with you. I have a fear (probably from watching Steel Magnolias) that I will somehow become unconscious while at home with my kids and no one will know for hours.
It's probably good that there was some humor in your story so that it wasn't quite so scary.
Glad you're feeling better! Make sure you take better care of yourself!!!

The Nielsons said...

I am glad you are okay. That is a scary story! Hope you are doing well and getting plenty of rest and water!!!